Dealing with Local Problems


From time to time residents and traders contact us about issues that are causing concern. These include noise and disturbance arising from late-night venues or behaviour by neighbours; problems in the street such as potholes, unauthorised parking, graffiti or fly-tipping; breaches of premises licences or planning conditions; unauthorised developments; and public nuisances.

We are always willing to take up such issues with the appropriate agency – usually the police or the local authority. However, it can be much more effective if the people directly affected also report the issue – we are always willing to offer help or advice with this. Unfortunately many are reluctant to do so, either because they do not know how or are concerned about relationships with, for example, neighbours. They may also be worried about the possible impact of breaches of confidentiality. It is our experience that confidentiality is always respected.

What to do

Sometimes it’s possible to resolve a problem by taking the matter up with the person responsible. But on many occasions this may not be practical. Hence the most effective way of getting something done is to report it.

Criminal activity:

In an emergency, always dial 999. To report anti-social behaviour, a crime that has already happened or to tell the police about other issues, dial 101.

Noise and anti-social behaviour:

Lambeth: You can report anti-social behaviour online at h To report a noise nuisance call 020 7926 6111 during office hours; or 020 7926 5999 between 20:00 and 4:00, Wed -Sun. See

Southwark: If you are being disturbed by noise or other nuisance, ring the 24-hour call centre on 020 7525 5777. Note that the centre is not continuously staffed – see To re.port anti-social behaviour call Southwark Council’s 24-hour hotline on 020 7525 5777; or report online at .

Licensed premises:

Lambeth: To complain to Lambeth about premises that may be in breach of their licence or where licensable activities are going on without a licence, email Lambeth Licensing at

If you wish to comment on a specific Premises Licence application in Lambeth, you can access a copy at; and make your comments at .

Southwark: Contact Southwark Licensing Service at or telephone 020 7525 2000.

If you wish to comment on a specific Premises Licence application in Southwark, you can access a copy at (don’t forget to register the correct type of licence). You can find information on how to comment on a specific application at

Planning: For possible breaches of planning conditions:

Lambeth: contact the Planning Enforcement team at, or telephone 020 7926 1185.

Southwark: Contact, or telephone 020 7525 5403.

Street Problems: To report issues such as potholes, faulty street lights, fly-tipping etc.:

Lambeth: Go to and enter the search term, or telephone 020 7926 9000.

Southwark: Contact, or telephone 020 7525 2000.