Herne Hill is the area of South London that broadly corresponds to the postal district SE24. The Society was founded nearly 40 years ago. It is an independent charity funded by members’ subscriptions, and democratically run by an annually elected Committee of unpaid volunteers.
Colin Wight – Chair
Laurence Marsh – Vice-Chair
Martyn Hall – Treasurer
Henry Ferguson – Secretary
What we do:
- Examine and comment on planning applications and local developments
- Publish Herne Hill magazine three times a year and deliver it free to our members
- Research the history of the area and its inhabitants
- Publish and sell books about Herne Hill, Lambeth and Southwark
- Make small grants [PDF] to projects of benefit to Herne Hill and its residents
Anyone can join for just £10 a year.
Herne Hill Society Links
Herne Hill Magazine online https://issuu.com/hernehillsociety/stacks/a0dcf0f2e8d6471a80c084460e6a05a6
Remembering Herne Hill 1914-18 website http://memorial.hernehillsociety.org.uk
Oral History interviews https://soundcloud.com/herne-hill-history-hear